What Are Certified Electronics Recyclers?
Certified electronics recyclers have passed a rigorous auditing process proving that they adhere to specific standards while handling and recycling electronics. The certification process focuses on management, safety, and quality practices that maximize recycling and minimize environmental damage.
Recyclers are certified by accredited, independent third-party auditors. Once certified, the recycling company will continue to be reviewed on a regular basis.
Types of Certifications
There are two accredited certification standards for electronic recyclers. Both accreditations promote high ideals and solid ethics in the field of electronics recycling.
The R2 Standard emphasizes quality, safety, and transparency for electronic recycling and repair providers. They are committed to improving environmental and social responsibility within the industry. R2 helps companies achieve consistent results with a common set of processes, safety measures, and documentation requirements.
The e-Stewards Initiative strives to create a more sustainable world by offering responsible recycling in response to the global epidemic of e-waste. They follow all international and local hazardous waste laws and help companies navigate the ever-changing landscape of e-waste recycling and reuse. E-Stewards is endorsed by major environmental groups like Greenpeace and the Sierra Club.
Benefits of Using a Certified Recycler
Certified recyclers provide dependable services that benefit you and the world. You can confidently rely on certified recyclers to follow proper recycling methods and dispose of harmful materials safely. Here are some additional benefits to using a certified recycler:
- Environmental Protection: Reduce environmental and human health impacts created by improper recycling and disposal of electronics
- Security: Chain of custody protocols and data destruction are required for data protection
- Legal Compliance: Certified recyclers operate in compliance with all privacy and waste disposal laws
- Social Responsibility: Workers are protected with safety standards and the use of sweatshops, child, and prison labor is strictly prohibited
- Best Practice: Processes are designed to address the unique operational and environmental challenges in electronics recycling and repair
The development of both R2 and e-Steward certifications comes from the desire to protect the environment, human health, and the safety of our community. Responsible recycling of your electronics promotes resource conservation, saves energy, and preserves the planet for future generations.
Find a Certified Electronics Recycler Today
Electronic Recycling Finder has a network of certified electronics recycling companies across the country. We would be happy to connect you with certified recyclers in your area. Contact us by calling (844) 648-4908, we will use your provided information to instantly match you with companies near you.